UKRAINIAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
3150 Commor, Hamtramck, Michigan
This church was built in  the late 1940s-1950s.  for the Ukrainian community in Hamtramck. Intricate samplings of Byzantine art are housed within the church, including a iconostasis (wall of pictures) by Ukrainian artist Mychajlo Dmytrenko.
The original church was a wood framed country style building  on Grayling. It  was built in 1913.  The church bells were above the garage on the second floor.   The priests lived in a house next to the church.  The Ukrainian  school was above  the hall, and the convent  was  next door. This  is where the first   Ukrainian community was at the time.  The street of Grayling was 98% Ukrainian. 
home.gif (1265 bytes)


Copyright   by [MI GenWeb]. All rights reserved.

click.gif (10813 bytes)