St.Florian's Roman Catholic Church and School

2626 Poland St. Hamtramck, Michigan 

named after Florjan (Florian) patron of Poland and Upper Austria, his feast day is May 4

florians.jpg (96538 bytes)

National Geographic Magazine, June 1979 page 828

Caption from the National Geographic Magazine, pg.827 June 1979:

Spiritual beacon, A Roman Catholic Church rises above a sea of look-alike houses in Hamtramck, an autonomous city whose residents, primarily of Polish descent, are completely surrounded by Detroit.

Click on photo above to see the original LARGE image

 

 

Michigan The Wolverine State by the Writers Program   pg. 288        1941:

on Florian Avenue between Latham and Brombach Aves., an imposing edifice of red face brick upon a base of Indiana limestone, was designed in the Gothic style by Cram & Ferguson, Boston architects, and completed in 1928 at a cost of nearly $500,000. The exterior is bold and simple, with excellent detail. The wide nave, with lofty arches at the transepts and tall windows at the sides, has a center aisle leading to the sanctuary, in which high stone-traceried windows rise above a base of colored tiles. The reredos, 50 feet  high, is intricately hand-carved with representations of 6 mysteries in the life of Christ. St. Florian's Parish, the oldest and largest in Hamtramck, was organized in 1908.   The school was run by the Felician Sisters.

click.gif (10813 bytes)

All rights reserved.home.gif (1265 bytes)

WEBMASTERS NOTE:In 1923 the famous General Jozef Haller, head of the HALLERCZYKI -the Polish Fighters (or Haller's Army) in France visited St. Florian's School.